NEWS:

to see photos from korea, click here

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Refreshing Beverage

I’m going to make a short rant on how Japanese and American people have different understandings on the idea of drinking something refreshing. Now, when you get hot, when you’ve been working hard and get really sweaty, when its 90+ degrees F, wouldn’t a class of ice cold water or Gatorade sound perfect? I would go a head and say pretty much anything smooth and cold would be perfect. right? Well, here, when you get hot and sweaty, just when water would be the perfect thing to quench your thirst, they give you cold wheat tea. Now, I like this stuff now. It has taken me a while to appreciate its kind of bitter, non sweet taste. But from my experiences, this seems like the number one choice of beverage to replenish with. Another popular drink is chilled black coffee. Not the biggest fan of that either. Or, something else that I’ve seen is serving hot coffee. This is rare, but you would think that it should be illegal due to the fact that you are adding risk to some one over heating if people are pounding piping hot coffee on a day that’s close to 100 degrees. Why not just a simple cup of ice water? I usually carry around my own 1L bottle of water so I can be polite, drink the beverage offered, and then finish replenishing with water.

No comments:

Post a Comment