NEWS:

to see photos from korea, click here

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fridays at 5

I teach 3 classes on Fridays. I start the day with my beginner ladies class, then have a beginner children’s class and then end the day with an intermediate high school class. It would not be right for me to say that I have a favorite class or two, but now that I am in the teaching position, appreciate the classes that put and effort into learning. When I was a student growing up, it was hard for me to understand the enjoyment the teacher might get out of a class if they are interested in learning or not. My class at 5:00 is definitely one of those classes that enjoys learning!
The first week I had this class it was just me and Natsuki, then a couple of weeks later Rintaro joined, then Moe started coming in September. Natsuki and Moe are good friends, so there is a fun and little competitive rivalry there that is good. They often compete to try and say things first, or with better pronunciation. Rintaro is just a sweet and smart boy who fits right in with the two girls. This is a beginner class, so we are started from the very basics, but they have for sure learn and understand material fast, as well as remember old units when I review them.

This class loves challenges. Sometimes I will stretch their brains and see if they can figure out what I’m asking them. It doesn’t work out every time, but many times they have impressed me, and its cool to see them connect the dots in their brain. Here is an example where they impressed me:

In weeks leading up to this lesson I taught them: on, under, behind, in front, etc. We were learning to say the number of objects. I would hold up four pens, and say “how many pens?” they would say “four pens.” I thought that I would try and make a bridge between the two different things I was teaching them. I put three pens on the desk and held one under the desk and said, “Where are the pens?” they said, “three pens are on the table, one pen is under the table.”


I was SO stoked when they said that. Of course they did not just rattle it off with any problems, I needed to guide them through it a little bit, but once they said it a few times I could see that they understood, and then answer my questions.

Most of my classes I have adopted from past English teachers, but about a third of my classes are beginner and brand new to English. I get the privilege of being their first English teacher. So for me, it’s exciting to see, and know exactly how much they have learned. I have a lot of pride in all of my classes, and am very conscious about my teaching. I ask myself, what can I do to help them understand or make it more interesting?

No comments:

Post a Comment