NEWS:

to see photos from korea, click here

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you back in America, especially to my family and friends. I will miss the fun Thanksgiving traditions such as watching football, setting up the Christmas lights, going down to Seattle for the lighting of the Bon Star, cutting our Christmas tree, and being with the family. I hope you guys all enjoy you long weekend!

Secondly, I want to apologize for being somewhat of a ghost. Things have been very busy around here, consequently there has been no time for me to process or reflect on the past weeks. Will things start winding down as Christmas season approaches? No, just the opposite, many of you probably understand how busy things get, once Advent season begins, so wish me luck as I plan and prepare for all kinds of Christmas parties with my classes, and special services in our church.

Todays Blog I wanted to write a few things that I’m thankful for. Just to clarify, there are many more things that I could add to this list, but for the sake of time, I will limit it to only a few.

1) I’m thankful for my Family: I have been blessed with a family that is so supportive of me in many ways. Dating back to when I was a wee tike, to motivating me to do well in high school and helping me though the process of messy collage applications, to being available to help when I ran out of money towards the end of the school year, to helping me prepare for my move to Japan, all the way to now. They show so much support which makes it easier for me to be here and serve the Lord, knowing that they are happy with what I’m doing

2) I’m thankful for the Sasaki’s: They are my family here in Japan. They picked me up from the airport on July 8th, they helped fill my fridge for the first month, they take me around different parts of Sendai, they helped me open a bank account and do all the necessary things to get settled and registered as an alien. Junko makes me dinner on my busy teaching days, and they are encourage me and push me to be creative and a fun English teacher.

3) I’m thankful for my students: I wouldn’t be here without them. When I first arrived in July, my student count was in the low 30’s, now we are at the cusp of breaking 60 students. I guess a lot of it comes from the grace of God where He is demonstrating another way he provides, but I enjoy all of my students so much…even the more rowdy ones. Each student is kind and I really appreciate their hard work and attitude through my classes, it makes it so much easier to teach. Through my first 5 months of teaching, I have so much more respect for all the teachers I have ever had, its tough work!

Like I said, this list can go on and on. I am thankful for God’s grace He has on us, I am thankful for good health…etc.

This past Tuesday (November 23) was a holiday in Japan…not really sure what the holiday was for, but a day off none-the-less. I was invited over to the Bengtson’s home (missionary family at the church) for a thanksgiving dinner. Linda always orders a Turkey from America and has a thanksgiving dinner with her family and the English teacher(s). It was a delicious meal, and I am so thankful for people that will bring me into their home and let me be apart

We ate all the traditional Thanksgiving dishes. Turkey, mashed potato’s, veggies, cor bread, stuffing, and pumpkin pie for dessert. I left that evening feeling so satisfied. So mom, you don't have to worry, I got my thanksgiving dinner this year! But, as I was scooping away at my mountain of mashed potato’s, I realized something. Thanksgiving is much much more then eating a delicious meal. Thanksgiving isn’t thanksgiving unless you are with your family. There is a certain atmosphere of love and comfort that you get when you eat that meal with your family, and I’m REALLY going to miss that. With that being said, I hope that you all enjoy your turkey dinners; I hope that you enjoy being with your family, and last but not least, enjoy the Thanksgiving football games!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

-Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment